Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Treadmill, The Calling, and the Cold Hard Ground

I try not to confuse action with achievement.
The infinite universe moves beneath my feet,
Electric humming, footsteps drumming out
Uncounted strides. Empty promises of progression.
The sweat stained trappings of a life improved,
yet here I remain...unmoved.

It takes 38 years to learn the language of the clock.
Deciphered, the cadence mocks me,
Makes pillows prickly, steals sleep.
Daydreaming, dying to bound and leap.
Anchored by indecision and clouded course,
Forced to creep.

The Calling is risk, challenges accepted.
Testing the cold, hard and uncharted
Leaving behind paths familiar and soft.

To really get anywhere
You have to get dirt on your shoes.
Though I offend the comfortable rhythm
I step off.

No comments: