Monday, April 21, 2008

You Tube to the Rescue!!

After spending a few days scouring the internet, googling "Khmer Language", "Cambodian Alphabet" and the like, I finally had a breakthrough. Would you believe that right now, You Tube is the most comprehensive source of learning materials for the language of the Cambodian people?

I've found many wonderful lessons on the 33 Khmer consonants and vowels, complete with the all important native pronunciation!! This alone has helped me to get a foothold on a totally different language family from my own.

check out this vid for the consonants:



Well... I'm off and running. The squiggly lines and shapes are actually starting to make sense. I'm still well off from forming whole words, but it's not bad for 2 weeks when you consider what a pain it looked like it would be!

Chat at ya soon!

Mitch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had no idea that Khmer would be such a challange.. pretty cool you found something on You Tube! I'm sure you are glad you can get a 'leg up' on learning the language, as that could have proven to be a huge hurdle.

glenna said...

Unbelievable! You should know a couple of words by the time you get here. There just might be someone here who could help. I'll ask. Can't go to utube now cause it's late but I'll be there soon. Hope to hear from you soon about when exactly you're leaving FL. Love you